2014 Oscar Noms Reaction
by A. Journey
- It’s award season, so if you’ve been paying attention at all, most of the nominations were pretty expected. Predictable isn’t a bad thing, because at least there is a consensus of what the best work is, but it would have been nice to see a few more surprises in the main categories.
- I’m glad to see Gravity get so much recognition. It’s probably what I’ll be rooting for for Best Picture. And pretty much every other category it’s nominated in.
- Even Iron Man 3 got a nomination! I’m glad to see at least a couple of my favorite films were called out. Though against Gravity in VFX, I don’t think it has a shot.
- Though I think the odds are stacked against it, I think The Wolf of Wall Street is quite deserving in the Actor categories. Leo was hilarious and Jonah Hill has been turning in a lot of good work recently. They make that movie.
- Some of the more surprising films to get some nomination love: The Lone Ranger, Prisoners, and The Great Gatsby (which I loved–great music and style…can I say that Leonardo DiCaprio has had a good year?). Oh yeah, and Jackass: Bad Grandpa pulled a nomination for Makeup. Hm… Ok, that was at least unexpected.
- Finally, I was a little disappointed Don Jon didn’t get any recognition at all, not even in editing. It is very deserving, and I can’t recommend it enough.
Once I see a few more of the nominated films, I’ll report back with my awards picks right before the Oscars. Remember to follow me on twitter when I live tweet the show. It was a lot of fun last year, especially as the night went on and I had a few more drinks. I don’t know if I’ll be able to top the TWO Gossip Girl references that made it into last year’s live-tweeting, but you’ll just have to see.